My Fitness Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Creating Habits

Although I don't post to the blog very often, I have been very diligent in my eating and workout routines. It has produced great results. Even though I have not even reached my original goal from May 2006, I have had much success. I am pretty close to my initial goal (even if it took me an additional 6 months). However, what I am most excited about is that my eating habits have become just that ... habits. And really good habits. Eating salads two or even three times a day is habit. I crave it and it is hard to imagine me saying that a year ago. I feel, for the first time in my life, I have enough knowledge and desire to keep these habits throughout my life.

My wife gave me the pocket version of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People a long time ago. I know a lot of people have read this. In the front of the book is a simple picture showing the three circles of Knowledge, Skill and Desire overlapping. In the middle where they overlap is "Habits". Very simple chart. Really hits home these days. First, I really want to eat better for many reasons (better body, good example for my kids, greater daily energy, etc.). My desire is there. The other part is knowledge. I ready articles and books on nutrition almost daily. I really have gained a lot from reading the books and knowledge also really fuels my desire in this case. Knowing in my brain how eating well helps me also makes me want to eat well. Skills are from just implementing, tracking results and reassessing periodically.

So even though I did not make it a conscious goal to make healthy living the way I live ALL the time, it really should have been because that is the greatest gift I could have received.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home