My Fitness Blog

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

More on Shin Splints

I have been running 3 times a week at about 3.5 miles per run. It feels good to be out there running again. It took a while to build up to this distance and frequency because I am trying at all cost to avoid shin splints. Well, late last week, one leg started showing early signs of a shin splint.

I have been keeping them warm with wraps and the improved diet I have been on has helped recovery, I believe. I really think the added protein helps. But because I felt the beginnings of a splint, I backed off my pace. I notice that as I increase my pace significantly, I tend to lean forward and my center of gravity shifts forward. An article in wikipedia about shin splints mentions this can cause splints so I tried running upright and backing off the pace a bit. Seemed to work, but the next few days is the real test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home