My Fitness Blog

Thursday, January 07, 2010

"Happy Weight, USA" is a Misnomer

The title of this book came from the the last line of the introductory chapter. I was writing about living permanently in the place you want to be and the idea of "Happy Weight, USA" popped to mind. In reality, the title doesn't make sense, but it is catchy, I think. I was originally trying to come up with a title using a combination of words like fitness, lean, habits ... or whatever. I couldn't really find anything I liked until "Happy Weight, USA" came to mind. In my mind, it is a beautiful place with big trees, swimming pools and happy music playing, but it is really a misnomer. Much like the way scientists say that "The Big Bang Theory" wasn't big and didn't include a bang, this book really isn't about weight, necessarily.

First, I think your body image is one component of happiness, but there is a lot more to it than just weight. It is, though, a great place to start because it enhances other areas of life. And the idea that everyone has to be a certain weight isn't really correct, either. We are really wanting an ideal body composition. I could be 190 and fat or 190 and ripped. But it would be silly of me to argue that, to most people, THE metric people care about most is that reading on the scale. Finally, none of what we talk about here is confined to the USA, of course. It applies everywhere. I just happen to live in the USA where we have, I think, the worst problem of obesity in the world due to plentiful and cheap processed foods, tons of misinformation and plenty of interesting temptations to keep us from being active.

So no matter where you are or what shape you are in, I hope we can all live in that happy place for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home